Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Our Story: New Orleans 6.11-6.12.16


So there we were on Jackson square in front of St. Louis cathedral walking hand in hand observing the landscaping. Just as we looked up in front of us a man got down on one knee to propose to his girlfriend. He was emotional and we watched as they stared into each others eyes professing the desire to spend every day together for the rest of their lives. Tears flooded my eyes to have witnessed a life changing moment of total strangers. We stood there smiling in awe that we were blessed to have been a part of that special occasion even as passerby. We walked along the streets watching people and admiring architecture. Occasionally we would duck inside of a shop to escape the heat of the south but we were never more than a few inches apart for any longer than a few minutes. There we were visiting New Orleans and soaking in the mystery and romance that we felt with each step.

After spending the afternoon walking along the river front, shopping in the french market and exhausting ourselves we retreated to the hotel. At first it was a desperate attempt to hover over the AC as we were glistening with clammy skin and excitement of what we would discover that night. We laid back on the bed and talked for what seemed like hours. I have no recollection of the time we spent there. We covered important topics about dating and our lives. I felt this connection...we both felt this connection as if we had known one another our entire lives yet we wanted to know everything and more. Finally we decided to get dressed and head out for the evening.

Again we walked hand in hand down the streets of broken pavement. He watched out for every crack and dip to protect me from stumbling. As we walked he would compliment me and smile. I knew then that my heart was in a world of trouble. We exchanged moments of staring at the other when they weren't looking ...often catching one another and shying away with a smile. That evening after dinner we took a carriage ride to tour the French Quarter and it was almost magical. The city at night was much different than during the day. After the ambiance of such a wonderful evening we walked back to our hotel room.

That night we talked more and shared a bond that I have yet to share with anyone. I connected with him on a level I have never connected with anyone. As the sun crept the following morning we didn't want to say goodbye to the city. We didnt want this amazing weekend to end. We stayed in the room just as long as we possibly could. Room 231. That was where we became more than we were when we arrived.

As we walked down the street heading to the car we decided to stop off in a little diner that advertised WORLDS BEST HAMBURGERS. How could you pass up the world's best hamburger right? It was in that diner that I looked at this man and my soul sort of sighed. Everything inside of me said that is the one we have been searching for. It almost moved me to tears so I stared out of the window daydreaming. We ordered our burgers and shared stories. "Be my baby" came on the radio and I could do nothing but smile. It was a moment for us. It was a moment that I knew I would remember for the rest of my life. All of these moments may sound so simple to you or anyone else but you see there is a secret to it all. Ordinary things become extraordinary with the right person.

...And so our story continues