Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Diary of a Southern Fat Ass- Volume 1

Diary of a Southern Fat Ass- Volume 1



So I have been asked to blog my weight loss journey in addition to the single life posts and the infamous “Dear Future Husband Letters”. As most women it has always been a trend of keeping up with the newest diet fads and quick weight loss strategies only to be met with disappointment. It was something I had prayed about but truthfully never something I had enough self will to conquer. I can admit that now. I felt that I didn’t eat enough to be overweight and couldn’t fathom why I was not losing it. It was recently that a bold resolve gripped me regarding the simplicity of weight loss. More calories out than In. 

Now I know people have different theories and strategies that work for them but I am going to tell you about my first attempt and that is this basic concept. I am simply burning more calories than I intake. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to burn 1lb of fat. That means you need to atleast be at a daily calorie deficit of 500 to burn a pound each week. Easy right? WRONG.

I recently purchased a fitbit to sort of track my activity and challenge myself to reach a daily step goal of 10,000 steps daily. This alone will burn 500 calories per day. I also signed up for couch to 5K through the app on my phone. I decided to up the ante by signing up for my first 5k on May 14, 2016 in Atlanta. Yours truly will be running the color vibe with my sister, brother in law, nephews, and others running along beside me. This is exciting stuff. I instantly feel all “fitnessy”. 

My fitbit will calculate for me the amount of calories that I burn daily and I log the food that I eat on the app. The app settings allowed me to set my own goals and I wanted to lose at least 2 pounds per week so it tells me throughout the day how many calories I have left to consume in order to stay on target. Of course these totals fluctuate with more exercise so I can actually create a bigger calorie deficit although it isn’t advised. 

I also got serious about my water intake. I can log this on my fitbit app too so that I stay on target for my goal of a gallon each day. I signed up for weight watchers online to really push myself even further to get low calorie meals that also taste great. What I did was create an atmosphere conducive to an active lifestyle and weight loss goals. With all of these instruments and support networks right at my fingertips the only enemy is myself. I have to want this. I do want this. 

I purchased a pair of Brooks running shoes, bought healthy groceries, meal prep containers, weights for home and will be joining a gym close to my office once we relocate. I have been running the couch to 5k program, eating right, logging my intake, and watching what I eat. All of these things right there flashing in front of me make it so easy to stay on track. Knowing how hard it is to burn calories makes it that much easier to choose healthy low calorie foods.

So far I have managed to make it through a couple weeks of couch to 5K without dying and I have lost 10lbs total. I am hitting my water goal daily. I have been working out diligently at home...FYI Squats are a beast. So far I really feel amazing and I love the new found energy. I have amazing friends and family cheering me on and now I want to keep you all abreast of the new focus in my life. 

At this time I'm not actively looking to date. I'm not opposed to it if I happen to meet someone out or I get asked on a date but right now I need to keep my focus on my goals. I want my boys to see the fruits of labor. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy but hard work and persistence pays off! Catch y'all on the skinny side ;)